Beihang University Qingdao International Science and Education New Town
“a combination of Chinese and Western elements, echoing mountains and sea, a fusion of landscape, science, and education integration- Beihang Town, a wonder for a new century”
This ground-breaking New Town in Qingdao provides a 21st Century campus for China’s famed Beihang University as the nucleus of research and innovation in a multi-centered regional development. Future-oriented, sustainable transit systems link the campus and Innovation District into a dynamic engine of international research and regional growth. Our team followed a successful competition win, translating detailed urban design and campus guidelines into technical planning documents to meet strict environmental and code requirements.
The physical setting of the University’s new town is equally extraordinary: a convergence of natural waterways, regional connectivity, notable topography, and coastal grandeur. The complex interplay of natural systems and dynamic geometries offer profound inspiration for planning. Our team’s interpretation of the University’s ambitious vision within these unique conditions led to five key principles that guided our planning approach:
- The mission of the University is Discovery, Translation, and Realization
- The means to achieve it is a Community of Innovative Talent—a showcase for Research and Developing Technology
- The Community is nurtured by Habitation in Harmony with a Landscape that is shaped by the forces of nature-- convergence of natural waterways, regional connectivity, notable topography, and coastal grandeur
- The ordering principle is The Graceful Flow of Movement-- The full spectrum of movement from pedestrian to regional rail is integrated in our proposed Master Plan.
- The planning method is the Braid of Natural and New-- Weaving or braiding the many programmatic and environmental demands into a coherent Campus-Town fabric